CANADA IS A FOREIGN COUNTRY. Since June 1, 2009 the US has required an approved document to return to the US after foreign travel. All travelers MUST carry the PROPER TRAVEL DOCUMENTS to prove citizenship such as:

PASSPORT  A Passport costs $135 and is valid for 10 years.

PASSPORT CARD   A Passport Card is obtained at the Passport Office, but is only valid for land travel between Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.  It costs $55 for adults and $40 for children.

ENHANCED DRIVER'S LICENSE   New York has arrangements in place to obtain this driver's license which has the required citizenship information embedded for travel in place of a passport.

BIRTH CERTIFICATE FOR U.S. citizen children ages 15and under  An original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. 

Click the link below to access the US Passport Office & NYDMV Websites

Passport Info

Passcard Info

Enhanced Driver's License Info

Important Notice For One Parent traveling with Child(ren) or Minor Traveling With Other Family Member

There are strict guidelines for children traveling to and from the United States and Canada.  If a child will be traveling with one parent or another family member, proof of permission from the non-traveling parent(s) for the child to travel and enter the country with the traveling parent or family member may be requested at the time of border inspection.  A form can be filled out, notarized, and carried along with the child's travel documents indicating said permission.  

Click the link below to obtain info & sample of approved form.

Traveling with Minors U.S.

Traveling with Minors Canada

Canada 2015

Important Notes for all Travelers and One Parent traveling with Child(ren)